9U A - Pirates
ROOKE RULES OF PLAY
- 60 foot bases
- Pitching will be done by a coach who will pitch to their own players. Pitching must be OVERHAND and firm (try to avoid lobbing the ball) at all times!! This helps develop the kids for higher divisions. ABSOUTELY no underhand pitching to players. FMMBA recommends that coaches pitch from one knee that way they are at the same height as the player and the ball can be thrown straight and firm with little to no arc.
- All games start exactly on time and as per the schedule. Please ensure to have your teams arrive 30 minutes prior to start times to allow for warm up and set up, etc.
- Home team is responsible to ensure that the bases have been put on the diamond for fields where it necessary.
- All players are to be listed on the game sheet and take their turn at bat regardless of whether are not they are playing defensively at the time.
- Maximum of 10 players on the field defensively. Teams shall have a minimum of 7 players and no less. When playing with 7 or 8 players the 8th and 9th place in the batting order are not an automatic out.
- If the opposing team has less than 7 players, they forfeit the game. Balance the teams with the players present, play the game and HAVE FUN!!
- All players must rotate their position on regular bases, and cannot play the same position 2 innings in a row or more than 2 times during the game. Players are also REQUIRED to play a set position. That means a maximum of 6 players in the infield and 4 in the outfield (with the rover). Players must play that position for the entire inning and cannot be switched. The purpose is to give all kids the opportunity to play all positions.
- Each player plays a minimum of 3 full innings.
10. Coaches from the batting team will call outs for their players since they are already coaching 1st and 3rd base.
- The offensive team may have 3 adult coaches one the field. One at 1st base, a coach at 3rd base and the coach pitching. The defensive team may have 3 coaches in the field to assist with the positioning and reinforcing fundamentals. Both team coaches are responsible for making sure that players are paying attention to the game to avoid injury. An additional coach/parent needs to oversee the dugout/bench area (batter safety as well as catcher).
- Each batter is entitled to 5 Hittable pitches (Strikes). Remember we are trying to develop our players so if a player is coming close to hitting a ball a few additional pitches may be given. Both coaches should support the decision for additional pitches. If a player does not hit a pitch the tee will be used. A maximum of 7 batters or 3 outs whichever occurs first shall complete one half an inning. When the 7th/last batter hits, the play is not deemed dead until an out is made which is the 3rd out of the inning or until a player has stopped the play by touching home plate with the ball in hand.
- A batter who throws a bat must re-bat with a warning and no out will result. The second offense is an automatic out.
- The ball is called dead and play stops if the ball hits the coach pitching. The batter will go to first base and all base runners will advance one base only.
- We suggest helping limit the kids overthrowing the ball that runners will be limited to one base for balls hit in the infield. An extra base can be taken on an overthrow of the batted ball. If a ball is hit into the outfield runners can continue to run but should be stopped once the ball has entered the infield. A player that hits off the tee will only be allowed to take one base even if there is an overthrow. This is the same if the player is the 7th (last) batter of the inning.
- No lead offs! No stealing of bases! Infield fly rule does not apply!
- If the defensive team creates an out, the play shall be deemed as stopped. Players can only advance on a fair hit ball.
- Metal cleats are prohibited.
- Helmets with the chin strap under the chin and fastened is mandatory for all batters, base runners, and on deck batters.
- All diamonds are to be left clean after each game.
During a Tournament
- Scores will be kept during games. Please come to the concession to report who won on the board after each game.
- Tournament games cannot end in a tie.
- In the event of a tie the International Tie Breaker Rule is in effect.
- A regulation game is six innings or 1 hr 45 minutes from the listed game start time. No new inning shall start after 1 hr 45 minutes from the listed start time. A game is considered complete if:
- 5 complete innings are played or
- After 4 ½ innings played the home team is ahead or
- The Mercy Rule is in effect 10 run differential when the losing team after completing their
3rdoffensive inning at bat. If both teams wish to continue playing after no scoring shall be kept after Mercy has been called.
- When possible umpires will be provided for all rookie tournament games.
Have FUN and PLAY SAFE!